Desiderata Poem by Max Ehrmann
"A poem for a way of life!"
That's what Max Ehrmann thinks anyway, and I agree.
- Again, it's an inspirational poem to me - it sums up self-help in a few hundred words.
- And if I could sum up Max Ehrman's famous poem in 2 words it would be these: Be Yourself!
- So I'd definitely say that the poem theme is: Confidence
Desiderata poem - what Max Ehrmann has to say...
amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.
- My favourite inspirational poem is The Invitation, but take your own pick from this list of inspirational poems, or...
- Write your own poems, write your own stories, or write your own words in your very own guided journal. We recommend... this 90-day self-exploration journal, this 45-day kindness journal or this 45-day find your own way journal.
Return to Self Help Collective from Desiderata Poem